Monday, January 21, 2008

Remembering Dr. King


It's Martin Luther King Day - a time to reflect on how far we have come in achieving equal rights in the United States and elsewhere. It is also a time to work together to continue that progress and recognize that there is more work to be done. I was reminded of this last night as I returned to my campus apartment in Syracuse. As I walked through the parking lot to the car, I heard a rustling near the trash cans of one of the houses. The sad thing is that I knew exactly what, or who, it was. On one of the coldest winter nights, the sound came from a homeless man of color who was delicately combing the recycling bins for cans and bottles. It hit home - myself just getting off a six hour shift for more than $7 an hour, and this man searching the city day and night for 5 cents here and there. And he is only one. I'm sure there are hundreds more in Syracuse - some lucky enough to be in warm shelters for the night, but too many are, like this gentleman, out on the streets. There is still work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment