Sunday, March 27, 2011

NEWS: Fire at Perinton Apartments



I was just about to leave work Friday night when I heard over the scanner that there was an apparent structure fire in Perinton. It was about 11:30. The dispatch described flames coming from an apartment complex. Having nothing better to do, I headed over to the scene on Blackwatch Trail (across Rt. 31 from the Perinton Wegmans.


I could tell it must have been a good sized fire when I saw smoke in the distance as I got closer. I parked in a plaza next door and walked over. A firetruck was blocking the entrance to the complex, and was pumping water from a hydrant. There were no visible flames by the time I got there, but a good deal of smoke rising from the space once occupied by a roof.


Armed with a BlackBerry, I started taking pictures and shot about 5 minutes of video. Amazingly, the 3.2 MP, pen-tip-sized lens actually captured some half decent stuff. My hands were freezing (ironic - watching a fire with fingers so cold you could barely feel them), so there was no way I was going to try to get an interview. We could call the next day for that.


The details to be learned the next morning: multiple fire departments responded to the call, with flames from the roof by the time they got there.  Luckily no injuries, but several units were destroyed, and about 6 families have been displaced. The Red Cross is providing assistance. No word on cause - although I did notice rolled up carpeting in multiple dumpsters around the complex. Makes me think a remodeling effort was underway - perhaps related somehow - but that's pure speculation. At the end of the day, a sad experience for residents. For me, an interesting Friday night that led to what I'm calling "cell phone journalism."

No comments:

Post a Comment