Wednesday, December 14, 2011

HOLIDAYS: Hitting the liquor store

Pusser's Rum
Tis the season to hit up the liquor store before the holidays, and that's exactly what I did today on my day off from work.  Browsing the wonderfully-wide aisles of Lisa's Liquor Barn in Penfield, I searched out some of my favorite drinks before making my decision.

I chose a bottle of "Maker's Mark" bourbon for me, and my mom went for the "Baileys Irish Cream".  Both will be nice additions to the liquor cabinet.

My "Maker's Mark" will go nicely alongside the half-gone bottle of my favorite rum - which is really the purpose of this blog post.  I always hear people say how much they love "Captain" or one of the endless varieties of "Bacardi".  When people ask which rum is my favorite, they get a bewildered expression when I reply "Pusser's".



 If you enjoy a good rum and coke, or just plain rum as I do, I would definitely recommend trying "Pusser's" for something different.  It's not a common name, and it's not made like the top-selling brands.  It's the same recipe that was used for centuries by the British Navy - a blend of five West Indian rums with no coloring agents and no artificial ingredients or added sugar.

The biggest difference, however, is the type of still used.  Pusser's is distilled in the same stills used by the Admiralty, which are more than 200 years old.  The old wood adds flavor that can't be achieved with modern metal stills.  The process takes more time and effort, but produces a better rum.

Pusser's is not without controversy though.  The rum company made headlines over the summer when it sued a NYC tiki bar called "Painkiller" over its name.  Pusser's trademarked the name "Painkiller" for a type of mixed drink that must use its rum.  Pusser's apparently asked the owners to either use its rum, or change the name of the bar.  When neither happened, a lawsuit was filed.  Fellow bartenders started a facebook page urging other bars to boycott Pusser's.  Bartenders were upset that a rum company would go after the little guy.  That's understandable, but Pusser's in response said it probably makes the same or less money annually than a bar in a large a city like New York.

I'm not sure how significant the boycott is, or was, but the downside is any decrease in sales would impact Pusser's charitable contributions.  A portion of each sale goes to a British charity helping naval veterans.  This is now the largest source of income for the Royal Navy Sailors' Fund after its original bequest.

 Regardless of the controversy, the rum is great.  I would recommend trying it if you're looking for a new and unique taste.  To learn more about Pusser's, the "Painkiller" controversy, or Royal Navy Sailors' Fund follow the links below.

LINKS:

Pusser's Rum

"Lawsuit Costs Painkiller its Name and Website"

Royal Naval Association



No comments:

Post a Comment