Monday, March 03, 2008

A visit to the Everson

Over the weekend I had to go to downtown Syracuse to visit the local art museum. It was a requirement for my art history class to visit the gallery and and take notes on visiting paper engravings (on loan from Cornell University). While taking pictures of visiting displays is not allowed, I brought my camera along to photograph the building itself. The Everson opened in 1968, and was the first museum designed by world-renowned architect I.M. Pei. The museum was actually Pei's second building in Syracuse. He also designed the first of three buildings in Syracuse University's Newhouse Communications Center. For more on my visit to the Everson, check out the podcast below. I have also included pictures from inside the building.


Everson atrium on the ground floor. The second floor is accessed through the spiral staircase shown above. the building is primarily built with concrete.


View of the spiral staircase from the second floor galleries.


There was a Jackson Pollock visiting exhibit while I was there. I thought some of his work was interesting, but found most of it unappealing.


I.M. Pei's first building in Syracuse. The Newhouse I building was the first of three that house the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. Like the Everson, part of the building its below ground level. In this picture, you only see 3 of 5 levels. Two of them sit beneath the building and patio area. Again like the Everson, most of the building is made with concrete. Newhouse I was dedicated in 1964 by President Lyndon B. Johnson, during which he gave his famous Gulf of Tonkin speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment